Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

A little dragon in my blood.....

This week I had a "meeting" with 6 of our girls. I wanted to read a small book to them, it is called: Brenda has a little dragon in her blood". It tells the story about a little HIV+ girl who has to go to the doctor, because she has a little dragon in her blood which is called HIV and the doctor gives medicines so the dragon stays asleep. When Brenda is not taking her medicines, the dragon wakes up and makes her sick. One of our staff members, Margaret helped with translating, so all the girls could understand well. It was touching seeing them sitting and listening, and asking questions like: why does the medicines not kill the dragon instead of only let him sleep? And why do I have this dragon in my blood and you don't? How did this dragon came into my blood? What if I take a lot of medicines, will he be dead? Or Why does the dragon wants to make me sick? What happens when I don´t take the medicines????? Many questions, they were listening and I saw them thinking..... We really want them to understand that it is not their mistake, they are very normal children, only they have this little dragon in their blood and they have to take their medicines to let the dragon sleep.

Is this not a beautiful group of girls!!! At the back Mary and Immaculate, then the row with Norah, Helen and Christine 1, at the front Christine 2. Last night, just before it was the time to take the medicines, Helen told me: I think the dragon is almost awake, I need to take my medicines fast, before he wakes up! She is only 6 years old but she understands it on her level.

I am a bit worried about baby Job. He is now 4 days with us and he is not drinking well. His weight was only 1.6 kg. He is 2 weeks old and was born premature. Both of his parents are HIV+ and they were so scared too loose this baby, they lost 2 children before. I gave him a NG tube today and we pray that he will keep the milk in and start growing. We will also take him for a HIV test. We pray that he is negative. He is so small, so delicate and so vunrable. And also so cute (lief)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment