Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sick and Desparate...

It is raining today, normally it rains at night, but today it is still raining and it is a cold, grey day. We are complaining, because it is cold and we can't hang the laundry outside to dry and we try to hang them inside. But then, I drove past the hospital and I saw all those people standing in line, outside in the rain and I felt ashamed about my complains...


This week, there is a Canadian group in Soroti, who gives free consultation and free treatment from Monday till Friday. And the people come, from far and from nearby. Standing in line, for hours, even days, in the hope to be seen and to be given some treatment and medicines.


I stopped at the hospital, and Miranda and I walked around and we talked with some people who were standing in line. Some people came from very far and at night they sleep in the tent where they register from. They have no food, except they can buy some mais and they drink water. I spoke with some people who were there since Monday and they were still not seen by the doctors.
This is the tent, where they register the people, then they get a paper and they are send to the different doctors, like dental, eyes etc. They see more than 1000 people per day.


This line of people are not even registered, and I am wondering if they get seen today. They will be there again tomorrow, but that is the last day of the action. I am sure people will go home without getting the help they came for.


It makes me sad, how desperate can you be, to be standing in line, many with baby's or little children, for days!!!! I had to think about the healthcare in my own country, how privilaged we are!!!! And how wrong the world is operating, why do the people here have to suffer so much, and why are we grumbling so often about minor things. The lines of people this morning made me humble and thankful for what I have. It also made me feel so powerless and helpless, you want to do something for them, but the need is so big.

No comments:

Post a Comment