Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The arrival of Moses 3.

This morning my phone was ringing at 6.30 am. It was one of the community workers from the village. One of his HIV+ clients had died the previous night, there was a little baby... if we could help??
I told him that they could bring the baby, with a letter of the community leader and at least one family member to sign the papers and to tell the story. At 9.30 am, just after we finished our start of the day with a small meditation and prayers, they arrived. I looked at the baby, it looked big for a newborn baby. The baby was 3 weeks old. The name of the baby is Moses, we have already two Moses in Amecet, so this is Moses 3. I gave the baby to one of our staff members, to bath and weigh, while I was getting the story from the relatives. The mother gave birth in a clinic in the village, went home, but then the baby got sick. She went back to the clinic and the baby was admitted. While the mother was attending to the baby in the clinic, she got very sick and died. The mother was HIV+, the baby got some medicines after birth, but as far as we could read in the medical papers, he didn't get all. Then Josephine called me inside, she was bathing the baby and she got concerned, the baby doesn't react like a normal baby, no crying, nothing. A very lethargic baby you could handle almost like a doll. I went back to the relatives, yes, they told me that the baby never cried, he also doesn't know how to suck and he is very quiet. The relatives went and we took the baby to the clinic next door.
The doctor was very concerned, this baby is half dead, he said. He wrote down the prescriptions and we hurried back with the baby. The temperature was very low, so warm water bottles were put, we started IV medication and after that a drip. We put a NG tube in and gave the first feeding via the tube.Now we are 6 hours later, I just gave the IV medication again.his temperature is fine, but he is still so lethargic.Tomorrow we will go for review to the doctor. I spoke with the relatives on the phone, they just buried the mother. Let us pray that we can see Moses 3 live trough this all.

No comments:

Post a Comment