Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Norah is HOME...

We left Amecet at around 10.30 am, to drive to the village where Norah would be buried. Yesterday, Simon, together with some of our staff, brought the coffin with Norah's body, but today the burial would take place. So Elias and me went, together with some of our staff and some friends from Norah. It was dusty and hot, as we drove on the village roads, I saw people with branches of palm trees, yes it is Palm Sunday, we had almost forgotten in all our emotions and business...
After two hours drive, we arrived in the village. It is an area where people have ran away from, in fear for the Karomajong. But slowly, slowly, people come back to their land and build their houses again.
There are not many homes yet, it was a beautiful place with the mountains from Moroto at the background.We were brought to sit under a small cover. And in the middle was the coffin with Norah's body.
There were not so many people, they were singing hymns and we got at least 4 preachings, two were done by women. In between there was singing. Someone just starts singing and everybody joins in. Later I discovered that they were filling the time, the real preacher had not arrived yet. But it was good, peaceful and as everything was going in the local language, I had enough time to think and say goodbye in my mind to Norah. While I was looking to the mountains at the distance and the beauty of the landscape, I was so mad in my heart to this awful disease called AIDS....  There in the coffin in front of me was the body of a beautiful young girl of 16 years (I wrote before 17 years, but today I got her real date of birth...) an innocent victim of this terrible sickness. When will this end?? How many more I have to bring to their grave?? All those thoughts went through my mind as we were sitting around the coffin. I have no answer and I did not get an answer.....  
When the  "real" preacher arrived, there was a short message (translated this time) some more singing and then they carried the coffin to the grave that was digged some distance from the home. Here they carry the coffin and we all followed and the coffin was placed in the grave.. and buried.
We brought Norah home in her village, but knowing that she is in her eternal HOME gives so much more peace. It is Palm Sunday today, next weekend we have Good Friday and then we celebrate Eastern, And because all that. I do got an answer: Jesus is Risen, that is why we have Hope and we know that Norah is also alive with Jesus. We are still in this world, with a lot of sorrow and suffering, but we have a Hope, death has not the last word!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. My dear Els, you and your team are making such an big diffenece. Where the enemy came to rob and steal and kill, you undo his work by yours, you give Norah and the other you have walked with Life! Never ever forget the importance of the work you are doing! Be blessed and encouraged,. you can not do this work without the Hope he gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolence to AMECET and the grieving family. May God strengthen you in this trying moment.

    ReplyDelete