Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A canceled trip.

Today we were going to the eye hospital in Tororo. Catherine (my daughter) has an eye problem and we wanted to take Steven for a confirmation. You can read about him in the blog of May 21 and on June 26. Tororo is normally 2 hours drive, but with the bad road, 4 hours. And now there is another problem...
This is the road to Mbale, you go over the bridge and then through a swampy area. Because of the heavy rain showers a part of the road is washed away and also the bridge has a problem. So the road was closed off for traffic. This is the main road to Kampala, Kenya and Jinja. It is a disaster for the Teso. 

There is an old road with an old bridge, so we set out this morning to go via that way. But when we got there, we saw a long line of trucks and cars. Also this road is closed. There several vehicles stuck in the mud and no one can go back or forth. Many people had to sleep in their vehicle on the road. This line of cars is several kilometers long! So we decide to go back to Soroti and to try it again next week.
When we came back in Amecet we heard that there were problems with baby Lazarus, I wrote about him in the blog of August 25. His heartbeat was too fast, breathing not well. Together with Janneke, a Dutch nurse who has been several times in Amecet before, I went to ask advice from Dr. Engulu, our neighbour. After some blood tests, it showed that he was anemic and in need of blood transfusion. We had to go to Soroti hospital for the blood transfusion. While Dominique and Janneke stayed with Lazarus, I went to the blood bank. The lab technician was out for lunch, so I had to wait for one hour, but we were happy that there was blood for Lazarus. When I came back on the children ward, we found a small table, because all the beds were occupied. We taped the little bag with 70 ml blood on the wall and were allowed to connect the blood with the cannula.

Dominique was holding Lazarus and I had to keep my finger on the cannula, that way the blood transfusion kept on going. After the blood transfusion we disconnected it and we went back to Amecet. Lazarus was crying, but after a diaper change and some milk, he was laying comfortable in his little chair. The breathing was much better and the heartbeat a bit down. He still has some little convulsions with his arms, this little man has still a lot of problems in his 17 days old life!

No comments:

Post a Comment