Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Saturday, August 11, 2012

A day to remember....

This was a day, I will not forget easily, it was a Saturday (my free day!). We were invited to come with the older children to a concert in the children Playground, (which we build and opened on December  17, 2011). I was behind the house and I heard a terrible noise coming out of the doghouse. I ran there and I saw the two big brown dogs fighting together, and I mean..FIGHTING!! The other three dogs tried to also come in and help, I don't know at which side they were, it was one big mess, with blood everywhere. What to do, nobody, also our gardener, Calvin, didn't dare to go in. I also didn't think it was a good idea, so I opened the door and got one by one the three other dogs out, gave them to Calvin to put on a chain. Then the two, who were really at each others throat. I asked Calvin for a bucket with water and I poured it over the two fighting ladies. This had an effect, I got one out, on the chain and checked her. Most of the blood was not from her, so I went to the other dog, left in the house, I went in, she even greeted me. I saw then that she had a mayor injury, her eye was hanging out!
I needed to get the Vet doctor to see her. I went to get my phone, Then I met Simon, he came rushing in, he got a phone call from Steven Orem, our YWAM Soroti  base leader, they were on their way back from a conference in Tanzania and they got an accident, the car had overturned. In the car was Steven and his whole family (3 kids) and 4 YWAM staff members. They were injured, but he didn't know more, he had to go there with our car and help. We were shocked, how would it be, how bad was it, it was 1,5 hour drive from Soroti, so Simon left directly and I was left behind with the dog issue. I tried to phone the Vet, but got no reply, so I went in the car and drove to his house, he was home and was willing to come and help me. We drove back to Amecet, where several people were waiting for Simon, we are in the process of resettling  some of the older children back to their homes. We asked some of the relatives to come to Amecet and talk it over. So I had to do that, since Simon was not here. After that I brought the children to the concert and left them there with Mary Ajamo, who is back with us for her holidays. I went back to Amecet and the second Vet had arrived. Dr. Moses, the first Vet I went to, had seen the eye and felt that it was damaged so bad, he had to remove it. He went back to get the surgical instruments and got his colleague to help him.
 The car was parked under the tree, we opened the back and this was our operation room. Our dog, Boefie was sedated and they started the operation. It was quite a procedure and it was very interesting to see. In the mean time I tried to get more information on the accident, thank God for Mobile Phones!!!! I heard there were injuries, but not life threatening. They were all brought to a hospital nearby and some X-rays were done. So it brought some comfort... I went to the playground to see if the children were fine and they were, so I drove back to Amecet again. I had several visitors for several things so all in all it was a busy day. At around 3.30 pm the operation was over and the dog was laid on my veranda, where she is still laying right now. She was still sleeping, her eye removed and she was given injections against infection and the pain. 
I left to pick the children from the concert, it was finished, the children had enjoyed it, but it had been a long, hot day. It was a children concert, children who danced, sang and played drama. Then I got a phone call from Steven, They were all home, but needed injections, if I could help?? I brought the children to Amecet and left to the Orem family. It was good to hug them and to see them, when I heard the story, I got really shocked, they could have all been killed, they must have had a lot of angels around them!!! They only got minor injuries, some of them hardly anything!!! We looked in their medical books and then saw that some of them didn't need injections, but oral medication against infection and pain. I went to get it for them and explained how to take the medication. Then I drove home, where the Amecet family almost finished with their supper and were getting ready to praise the Lord. So I ate, while they were singing and clapping, yes God we thank you for your Hand of protection over the Orem family and the YWAM staff members, it could have been a very different day if God had not protected them. We give You Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment