Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kick polio and measles out of Uganda..

There was this last weekend a mass immunization  going on in Uganda. It was for all children from 0 till 5 years old. They gave polio to all those children and measles to the children from 1-5 years old. They gave quite some publicity to the action and there were various places where you could go with the children. Our local counselor 1 (like a village chief) came to warn us, to take the children to immunize. It was busy, so I thought maybe tomorrow!! Then I read in the newspaper that some parents were arrested because they didn't want to take their children for immunization! I remember that I thought, I better not forget........ And yes, I forgot. Monday was the last day and I was busy and when I was somewhere in town, I heard a car going around with a big speaker on it, telling the people that this was their last call to come for immunization. So I drove home and rounded all the children up within 0-5 year range and of course the staff to come and help me, it was quite an exodus!
And here we sit, we had 12 children  with us. We were waiting under the mango tree for our turn.
 The little baby's are getting polio drops only.
 Not Full house, but Full van!! We were with 11 adults and 12 children in the van! The good thing was that the children were not crying and also in the evening and night, not one of them got a fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment