Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A tragic night...

This morning very early, (1.15 am.) I woke up by someone calling at my window: "auntie Els, please come quickly!" I jumped out of bed and rushed out, on the way running to Amecet, the staff on duty said something like: baby dead. I run inside, there was no electricity and also the solar battery had run out, so there were some kerosene lamps. I asked the staff, who is it, she said Jabeth. I went to his bed, he was laying very quiet, his eyes closed, I checked if he was breathing, no, he was not, I checked his heartbeat, there was none.... I tried to resuscitate him, but all was in vain, Jabeth was gone.
I was shocked, this baby was not sick, we took the baby to the night duty room and I went outside to start the generator. I asked many questions to the night duty staff, Jabeth was fed at 12.30 he was smiling and after the feeding he burped and he was laid back in his bed. After 20 minutes they checked on him, while they were changing another baby and they saw that he was doing strange. They ran to call me, but when I came, Jabeth was already gone, in only some minutes. No fever, no diarrhoea, no vomiting, only his hands and feet were very white. We called some more staff and together we dressed him and tied the hands and legs, according to the custom here in Uganda. The night duty staff was upset, so I stayed a bit longer, to make sure they were all right.

This is the picture from Jabeth on the day he came in Amecet, his mother had died (read the blog from 22/2/12) and there were some problems in the family, who would take care of him in the future, his father was known, but he tried to denied that he was the father. The mother was only a schoolgirl of 18 years old. 
Simon came early and went to order a coffin, which was made in two hours. We called the family to inform them and gave them also time to get ready for the burial. We had a meeting with the older children, they were so sad, but also so honest, one of them said, I am not crying, because Jabeth is now with Jesus, he is happy. Simon prepared together with the children the coffin and they carried the coffin together to the car.
We also talked with the staff, some on them heard the news this morning, when they came to work, they were very shocked nobody had expected this!
We left Amecet with 7 staff and the coffin, we picked an auntie in town and we drove to the village where the mother had lived.
The family was expecting us and they were very sad and crying when they saw the little coffin. We gave them some time to cry and then we told the story what happened with Jabeth. They were very understanding and they thanked us for helping and bringing the body back to them.
This is the clan graveyard. The last (new) grave is from the mother of  Jabeth, only buried 6 weeks ago. Jabeth will get his resting place next to his mother, with a small stone.
We were remembering yesterday what Jesus had done for us, he gave His life for us and died on the cross. And because of that, and the resurrection, Jesus has the Victory over death. We have hope, we have a future for eternity!!! This is also for Jabeth, Jesus loves the little children, yes, I have questions, yes, I did cry, yes, I am sad, but I also know that Jabeth is with Jesus, accepted by His Heavenly Father, (while his earthly father denied him).
I think we do celebrate Easter and the resurrection of Jesus on a different way:

JESUS HAS WON THE VICTORY OVER DEATH!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Els,

    so sorry tp hear such sad news, praying for you and your team and all their fantastic hard work love sharonx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Els! I was so sorry to read this news!! Jabeth was such a sweet little one-- the first baby I held when we came to Amecet. Thank you for your great perspective though-- Jabeth was loved and cared for so much and like you said, his Heavenly Father loves him so much even though his earthly daddy rejected him! I'm praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete