Amecet n'ainapakin (Shelter of Peace) is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM)in Soroti, Uganda. We are reaching out to HIV infected and affected children. We also are caring for new born babies, who lost their mother after the delivery. The third group of children we help, are children who need a safe place, they mostly come via the police. In this blog we want to share with you our stories, our pictures, our needs and blessings!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waiting for the bus which didn't come...

Yesterday I was waiting at 7.15 am with Helen, at the front of Amecet, for the school bus. With us, more children, who all go to our YWAM Harmony pre- and primary schools, were waiting.

They started to play, in and out the ditch, pushing each other etc. After 30 minutes, I went in to get my mobile phone, to find out what was wrong. I knew the driver was a bit late that morning, but today it took very long. I heard then that the bus was stuck, quite a distance away, full with children and the driver was on his way on a boda boda (bicycles taxi) to our home. When he arrived I heard that the engine had just stopped and it was impossible to get it going again. The children were still in the bus, together with the guy who helps the children in and out the bus.

I quickly called Ton, (the leader of our second home) to come with their pick up and I gave Paul, the bus driver, the keys from our little van. Ton and Paul were going to bring all the children from the bus to school. I took our pick up and finished the route of the bus after our home. I think I had at least 15 children in the pick up. The children who were waiting in front of our house and more children, who were waiting along the road. I drove to school to unload the children and went back to get more children who were patiently waiting for the bus. On my way back I met Ton and Paul, both with a vehicle full of children. But all the children arrived in school that day!

And what was the problem now with the bus????? The bus was serviced 10 days previously, they had changed the oil and many other things, but they had cheated us and had poured old oil in the engine. The oil was almost thick like butter. So on the spot, a mechanic had to change the oil and we prayed that the engine would not be spoiled. Our prayers were answered, at 12 o'clock the bus was driving again to bring the pre-school children home.

But I felt that we had handled good and quick, that team spirit can handle any situation!

Waiting for the bus on "normal" days!

1 comment:

  1. Wat een geweldig team, mooi om te lezen hoe jullie dit opgelost hebben. Fijn dat alle kinderen na school kwamen en dat de motor niet stuk is. Wij zijn heel blij met jullie.
    Martell en Jaap

    ReplyDelete